[tn-dragonflies] Re: Cherokee Clubtail

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:17:08 -0400

Thanks, Richard. I'm trying to make sure I don't confuse the Cherokee's
with Sable or Green-faced. I did have one female (I have a photo) which had
t3 incomplete, but I'm just not as sure about females. Interestingly
enough, I went back later the same day (around 4 pm) to the same location
and could not find one example. That's generally been the pattern there
with most of the individuals being found in the mornings. Also had a
Splendid Clubtail down at Laurel Run Park in Hawkins County yesterday and
several Black-shouldered Spinylegs. Pretty confident about those, but on
the lookout for a Cobra, which I believe I've seen but not photographed
there before. The female Splendid had a complete t3, which I had not seen
on those before, but Paulson says that trait is variable in females and all
other characters looked good for Splendid. Getting too hot to do much
around the lower elevations now, may need to head for the high country too
do anything!

Rick

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:54 PM, Redacted sender Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx for
DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Rick,

That does look like Cherokee clubtail, without checking the terminal
appendages, other field marks look good. I'm noticing especially faded
yellow markings on S8 & 9. We, Larry Everett and I, evidently had one in
Unicoi Co. on Sunday, along N. Indian Creek. I got very poor photo, see
here:
http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/160447590
We had several of what I thought were Sable Clubtail, Larry netted one to
confirm ID, and it was released. He swung at a couple of others & missed
but I got a few snapshots. One was Sable and the other I believe was
Cherokee. Paulson says they are not usually found on the same stream, but
in this case evidently so.

Richard Connors
Nashville

In a message dated 6/16/2015 8:24:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I was out at the Eastman Rec. Park along Horse Creek in Kingsport on
June 14 (day after Dragonfly Day). Starting around 7:30 am, by around 11 am
I had observed 8 dragonflies that I tentatively identified as Cherokee
Clubtails. Can't say for sure about the females, but three males looked
good. However, I would like to ask you once again, just to be more certain,
if these look good for Cherokee. I'll post a link here to a full size image
showing one of the males. I was focusing on the terminal appendages in
hopes that this would be most helpful. Other characteristics observed were:
small size, t3 and t4 thin but complete, and face with one thin crossline.
Opinions once again appreciated. Here is the link to look at a large size
image on flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricksphotos0501/18878824661/sizes/o/

Rick

--