[tn-dragonflies] Re: Cherokee Clubtail

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 21:54:56 -0400

Rick,

That does look like Cherokee clubtail, without checking the terminal
appendages, other field marks look good. I'm noticing especially faded yellow
markings on S8 & 9. We, Larry Everett and I, evidently had one in Unicoi Co.
on Sunday, along N. Indian Creek. I got very poor photo, see here:
http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/160447590
We had several of what I thought were Sable Clubtail, Larry netted one to
confirm ID, and it was released. He swung at a couple of others & missed
but I got a few snapshots. One was Sable and the other I believe was
Cherokee. Paulson says they are not usually found on the same stream, but in
this
case evidently so.

Richard Connors
Nashville

In a message dated 6/16/2015 8:24:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I was out at the Eastman Rec. Park along Horse Creek in Kingsport on June
14 (day after Dragonfly Day). Starting around 7:30 am, by around 11 am I had
observed 8 dragonflies that I tentatively identified as Cherokee
Clubtails. Can't say for sure about the females, but three males looked good.
However, I would like to ask you once again, just to be more certain, if these
look good for Cherokee. I'll post a link here to a full size image showing
one of the males. I was focusing on the terminal appendages in hopes that
this would be most helpful. Other characteristics observed were: small size,
t3 and t4 thin but complete, and face with one thin crossline. Opinions once
again appreciated. Here is the link to look at a large size image on
flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricksphotos0501/18878824661/sizes/o/

Rick

--