[TN-Butterflies] Re: Your yard plants to attract butterflies

  • From: Bill Haley <insul8rbill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:21:04 -0800 (PST)

Hey Ken, crab spiders have to eat too!

I actually enjoy seeing both butterflies and butterfly predators in action. It
is one thing that keeps bug-watching interesting. A couple of years ago I was
watching a Cabbage White visit a flower when all of a sudden it gave a couple
of quick jerks, flapped a bit and then went still. An ambush bug, much smaller
than the butterfly, had caught, bitten and subdued it in a mere 15-20 seconds!
I've seen large Petaltail and Dragonhunter dragonflies snatch Eastern Tiger
Swallowtails out of the air in mid-flight. Neat! One funny instance occurred on
my Stevenson, Alabama butterfly count a few years back. David Spicer and I had
just identified our first (and only) Summer Azure of the day when an Eastern
Pondhawk swooped in and grabbed it. At least we identified it while it was
still flapping and could count it!

As a raptor enthusiast, I've never quite understood birdwatchers who curse
hawks when they swoop in and grab a small bird at the feeders. If you set the
table, be prepared for EVERYONE to come to lunch....even the predators.

Bill Haley
Chattanooga, TN
Hamilton Co.

From: Tanya Jordan <tanya_jordan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 9:03 PM

Other than 200% supporting Steve's suggestion of the butterfly bushes, three
words: ZINNIAS, ZINNIAS, and ZINNIAS!!!  You plant them, they will come!  In 20
years of planting for butterflies, nothing comes close to those two plants at
attracting butterflies to my yard.  Sedum and Butterfly Weed are a close 3rd
and 4th place but have a much shorter bloom time for me where I live in
Ooltewah, TN.

Tanya Jordan
Hamilton/Bradley County
(Still no FOY...)