[TN-Butterflies] Re: Your yard plants to attract butterflies

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:14:12 -0500

The number one nectar source in my yard is zinnias. I wouldn't want to
be without a patch every year, and they have a very long bloom season
once they get started. Phlox, hyssop, coneflower, butterfly weed,
buddleia, oregano and goldenrod are also attractive nectar plants.

As far as larval plants, one I'd recommend is SPICEBUSH, which will be
quite a draw for Spicebush Swallowtails. I bought one last year at the
Reflection Riding plant sale here in Chattanooga (they'll probably have
more this spring too). Before I could get it in the ground, it had 6
eggs laid on it, then that batch of caterpillars ate ALL the leaves and
before more leaves could come out, new eggs were laid on the new buds.
The poor thing never stood a chance....it just couldn't sprout a leaf
without the caterpillars finding it before it could unfurl. I had to buy
another plant to keep up with the butterflies. The first plant was so
exhausted by the end of summer that it died. (It was just too much of a
caterpillar magnet!) Luckily the other one and one I bought at the fall
plant sale have survived and will hopefully get enough of a headstart
this spring that they can withstand the onslaught of the swallowtails!
They are a small understory bush and can handle some shade, but the
butterflies sure seem to find them!

Bill Haley

Chattanooga, TN

Hamilton Co.