[TN-Butterflies] Re: Your yard plants to attract butterflies

  • From: "Michael" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:20:25 -0600

I found the West Tennessee listing of plants that butterflies used very
interesting (and hope others will contribute on such topics for their part
of the state), mostly native and most not accessible to put in the garden. I
ask, would you share what you suggest for putting in a yard to attract
butterflies? I am not naive about the subject, but would like to know what
others have.My yard is small, 57'x150', with only the front with any major
sun. My current offerings in the summer that receive the majority of
butterfly attention include lantanas, cat mint, sedum, coneflowers, yarrows,
blanket flower, goldenrod, and parsley. I have now eliminated the remaining
grass in the front and have room for additional plantings. Butterfly Weed is
coming. I lost my plant a few years ago. Much thanks.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, N