[TN-Butterflies] Hairstreak identification please

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:11:00 -0400

Hello all;

We found this hairstreak on the Soddy-Daisy count last Saturday.
Probably a Banded, but we sure wanted it to be a Hickory. What do the
much more learned experts on this list think? Please let me know your
thoughts.

Sat., June 26 was a punishing, hot day with heat index over 100 F. We
managed to find only 32 species, (maybe 33?) a little low for the
average on this count. Skipper diversity was quite low, with only 7
species found. Sachems and Wild Indigo Duskywings were the most
numerous. Believe it or not, we went all day and never found a
Silver-spotted Skipper!!!! As many of you who have done counts know, the
number of skipper species can be the difference between a great count
and a so-so count total.

I'll send a list of what we found as time allows.

Bill Haley

Chattanooga, TN

Hamilton County, TN