[TN-Butterflies] FOY Hamilton County

  • From: "David Spicer" <dspicer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:53:26 -0500

I spent some time early this afternoon walking and driving around in the
Enterprise South Nature Park (adjacent to the new Volkswagen plant). I found
one Question Mark and one Mourning Cloak. I had something flutter by that
based on size, shape, coloration, pattern and the way it was flying might
have been an American Snout. I lost it in the trees when the dog wouldn't
reverse directions quick enough.

At one point I had something quite large flying toward me. For a moment I
thought it might be a butterfly but it turned out to be a bat.

The nature park looks like it has the potential to be a good butterfly are
but we'll have to wait and see what sort of nectar sources and host plants
show up as the season progresses.

Dave Spicer
Ooltewah, Hamilton County