[TN-Butterflies] February Bugs

  • From: Julius Basham <juliusbasham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:06:04 -0500

It looks like it's going to be a good year for Mourning Cloaks.
Taking advantage of the continued warm sunny weather, I bugged out of work for a couple of hours, and popped up to Polk County to see if anything was flying.  Boy, was there.

I counted 31 Mourning Cloaks in about two hours, between 1:00 and 3:00pm.  It seemed like they were spaced about 100 yards apart, down every trail and gravel road that I explored.  Very wary, but making lots of close passes, as they flew trail patrol.

Question Marks are always tough to find this time of year, and even tougher to approach and photograph.  If you are lucky enough to find one, this is about all you can usually see of them, way up in a tree.

This one turned out to be a Question Mark, for a grand total of two Question Marks for the day.

Here's a bit of the topside. Notice the extra oblong dark mark, just beyond the large dark mark at the leading edge.

In addition to several moth species and a few large grasshoppers, there were a few Honey Bees out doing their job.

This weekend looks good here in Tennessee for getting out, getting some fresh warm air, and seeing what we can find.

Julius Basham
Ooltewah, TN