[TN-Butterflies] Clifton Bend Fall Count

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Johnson <bubo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Donna Ward <wardd9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:17:26 -0500

Hi Everyone,Here are the results from Saturday's Clifton Bend Fall Seasonal
Count.  We had an absolutely beautiful day to count with lots of species and
individuals.  The highlight was catching a big fall irruption of Red-banded
Hairstreaks which seemed to be on almost every Verbesina virginica plant,
LITERALLY!  We had a final total of 148 Red-bandeds!  Also, with high counts
were Cloudless Sulphurs and Sleepy Oranges.  Another highlight was a county
record Ocola Skipper.  One interesting observation was a Carolina Satyr
nectaring on the Verbesina.  I think that is the first time I've ever seen a
Satyr nectar.  I've seen Common Wood-Nymphs occasionally take some nectar in
the fall, but not Satyrs.  Top nectar plants were Verbesina virginica
(Frostweed or White Crownbeard), Vernonia gigantea (Ironweed), Prairie Dock
(Silphium terebinthinaceum), Rosinweed (Silphium latifolium), Slender
Blazingstar (Liatris cylindracea), Rough Blazingstar (Liatris aspera), Fall
Thistle (Cirsium altissimum), and Late Thoroughwort (Eupatorium serotinum).  I
am having trouble getting the online form to accept this count, so I apologize
for not having the neat "report" format that I usually send out. Pipevine
Swallowtail - 39Black Swallowtail - 2Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 39Spicebush
Swallowtail - 13Cloudless Sulphur - 208Sleepy Orange - 337Juniper Hairstreak -
2Red-banded Hairstreak - 148Gray Hairstreak - 12White-M Hairstreak - 3Eastern
Tailed-Blue - 31Summer Azure - 10American Snout - 11Monarch - 13Gulf Fritillary
- 17Variegated Fritillary - 13Great Spangled Fritillary - 14Silvery Checkerspot
- 2Pearl Crescent - 58Common Buckeye - 52Question Mark - 5Eastern Comma -
1Painted Lady - 1Red-spotted Purple - 42Viceroy - 8Goatweed Leafwing -
1Hackberry Emperor - 44Tawny Emperor - 4Gemmed Satyr - 2Carolina Satyr -
6Common Wood-Nymph - 1Silver-spotted Skipper - 44Southern Cloudywing -
1Horace's Duskywing - 2Common/White Checkered Skipper - 6Swarthy Skipper -
5Clouded Skipper - 32Least Skipper - 4Fiery Skipper - 18Sachem - 14Northern
Broken-Dash - 2Little Glassywing - 2Dun Skipper - 10Lace-winged
Roadside-Skipper - 2Ocola Skipper - 1 Unknown Skipper - 3Unknown Hairstreak -
3Unknown Swallowtail - 1Unknown Satyr - 1 Total Species - 45Total Individuals -
1290 Bart JonesMemphis, Shelby County