[TN-Butterflies] Re: Butterfly puzzle

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:10:16 -0400

Having just returned to work after recuperating from a car accident in
Sept. 7, the post about Buckeye migration caught my eye. In all our late
season NABA butterfly counts this year in the Chattanooga area, the
Common Buckeye was the most numerous species, usually by a big margin.

While participating in the Lookout Mountain, Georgia count on Thurs.,
Sept. 2, we pulled off on a side road near GA Hwy. 193. We noticed that
the whole time we sat there, a constant flow of Common Buckeyes was
headed south along Hwy. 193. It was not uncommon to see 5-6 at a time,
all heading the same direction. We ended the count that day with 427,
which was probably a VERY conservative number. At least 200-250 probably
went past as we ate and were not really paying close attention.

At my hawk lookout on Soddy Mountain, near Soddy-Daisy, TN we usually
saw quite a few Buckeyes headed south each fall, along with many
Cloudless Sulphurs and Monarchs. However, I think this year's Common
Buckeye crop is the biggest I can remember.

Bill Haley

Chattanooga, TN