[TN-Butterflies] Re: Butterfly puzzle

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 10:51:50 -0500

Deb Beazley, naturalist at Warner Parks in Nashville, had thousands of an
unknown butterfly over a two-day period this weekend going across Percy
Priest Lake from Seven Points Recreational Area, Davidson County. All were
going in the same direction. She said the butterflies looked dark with white
mark on each wing and they flapped continually. I suggested Common Buckeye
though that one does glide consistently and Deb said she did not think so.
Right now Common Buckeye, from my experience, the most common butterfly in
the county by a wide margin. I then suggested American Snout as it looks
dark in flight and shows white in the wing. Again, wasn't sure. So have any
of you had similar experiences that might solve the ID problem? It would be
nice to know as there were so many butterflies.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN.