[TN-Bird] northern South Carolina winter pelagic - January 29 and possibly February 5

  • From: Nate Dias <offshorebirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:35:59 -0500

* Apologies to the TN-Bird Listowner if this is off-topic - but since
I have gotten inquiries from several out-of-state birders who read the
Carolina Birds Listserv, I felt it likely that some TN birders might
be interested.

Due to the coldest ocean temperatures off northern South Carolina
during my lifetime, and recent reports of 5 Alcid species, Great
Skuas, and Kittiwakes in nearshore waters north of us - I am
organizing one or two winter pelagic trips off north-coastal SC in the
near future.  I figure if there was ever a winter to see Atlantic
Puffin off SC, or perhaps a Dovekie at sea, this might be it.  Or
perhaps a consolation prize like Little Gull.

January 15 I saw and videotaped 25+ Razorbills and about that many
'alcid species' while tagging along on a half-day fishing trip (very
close to shore) out of Little River Inlet:
https://lists.duke.edu/sympa/arc/carolinabirds/2011-01/msg00248.html

Please note: I do not plan to make a dime on this trip - strictly break-even.

The exact cost is dependent upon how many participants we have - if we
get 25+ then the price is very nice.  The boat will hold 40-50 birders
with with elbow room to spare, and is rated for a good many more
fishermen.
Email me for the current price projection.

The boat I have lined up runs out of Little River Inlet (north end of
Myrtle Beach, SC).  It is large and well-equipped - with a heated
cabin, snack bar, full access to the roomy bow + pulpit, and other
good features.  In terms of lodging:  good motel rooms are plentiful
and cheap in North Myrtle Beach this time of year - 15 minutes from
the dock.

It was a bit frustrating to be 'Spam in a can' on the fishing trip Jan
15, and unable to motor over to check out various birds I spotted.  No
such problem on our upcoming birding trip!

We will also go much farther offshore - out to Dovekie and Fulmar and
Red Phalarope country.

Depending on the Alcid concentration nearshore, we might A) spend the
bulk of our time in pursuit of Alcids, rare gulls, and Kittiwakes - or
B) eventually pick up and run out to 30+ miles in search of Fulmars,
Red Phalaropes, and a species I don't want to mention for fear of
Jinxing us (I have seen a lot of cool stuff off SC in February back in
the 80s when I crewed on a Grouper boat:
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/NAB/v061n02/p00188-p00196.pdf )

For you old pelagic hands:  yes, we will be chumming to keep a flock
of gulls and Gannets in tow.  And if we even get a glimpse of a
Northern Fulmar: it will be FULL STOP + break out the cod liver oil!
That should have them dancing along the stern and eating out of our
hand (insane photo ops).

At any rate:
The long-range marine forecast for this Saturday (Jan 29)  is looking
about as good as we get this time of year.  If we get closer to time
and the weather looks iffy for Saturday but good for Sunday - we can
move the trip to Sunday if needed.

Considering how rare good weather weekends are in late January /
February: I am really afraid if we pass on this weekend, that the
weather might end up canceling the February 5/6 attempt.  Bad weather
might happen again on Feb 12/13 to, and after mid-February is getting
late to find things like Dovekie and Puffin.

In a nutshell: I am concerned that this weekend might end up being our
only shot at getting offshore.

* So: if you are able to come on a winter pelagic this Saturday
targeting Alcids, Kittiwakes, Red Phalaropes and possible rarities
like Northern Fulmar, Manx Shearwater and Great Skua - PLEASE consider
signing up for this weekend's trip.  And please tell anyone you know
who might be interested.

If you can't make this weekend, shoot me an email and I will let you
know if we have a quorum for the February 5 trip (with Feb 6 as a
backup weather date)

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN