[TN-Bird] Re: Whooping Cranes Shootings/Aborn

  • From: Melinda Welton <weltonmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Aborn <David-Aborn@xxxxxxx>, tnbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:41:47 -0600

David
In addition to your list, on the internet I also found that one crane had
been killed by hunters in 2003 in Texas.

About the 3 birds killed in Georgia on December 30, 2010, it is important to
note that these were mostly brown immature birds that were part of the new
Direct Autumn Release (DAR) method being used by the Whooping Crane Eastern
Partnership. This release method is being used in addition to the
ultralight-led birds.

"Captive parent-reared releases, crane chicks would be raised by captive
whooping cranes instead of the costume, is an alternate rearing and release
method that has been proposed for 2011. The release method for captive
parent-reared cranes is still in development."
www.bringbackthecranes.org/.../recoveryplan2007.html

This likely means that each year there will be a group of immature birds
migrating without a white adult present, and possibly without Sandhills
either. The 5 Georgia birds had last been found in Hamilton County,
Tennessee.

Melinda Welton
Franklin, TN