[TN-Bird] (no subject)

  • From: MOURNLIGHT@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 02:28:29 EST

March 20, 2006
Antioch, TN
A pair of Kingfishers seems to be nesting on the 1.5 acre lake here.  I
believe I've located their nest in a cavity of a tree that's standing dead in
the
water, about 12 feet above the water.
Also present are Wood ducks - there were four pairs and one juvenile male on
Sunday.  The young bird looked like he was wearing a bicycle helmet with the
down sticking out backwards in a point.  There is a nesting box here, which I
hope someone will use, but I suspect one pair who keeps returning to the same
corner has found a suitable cavity nearby to use.  These are beautiful birds,
and listening to their various whizzes back and forth has been very
entertaining.
A mallard is sitting on a nest of at least 15 eggs amidst some yucca plants.
Another seems to have a nest in a bunch of tall grass.  The males are very
irritated that the females aren't available right now!
And, finally, two pair of canadian geese are visiting daily.  They don't seem
to be nest hunting, though - they seem to just be enjoying the show.
Ah, the heralding of spring!
M. Light
Antioch, TN
37013