[tn-bird] (no subject)

  • From: Tonyheadrk@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:52:48 EST

A quick trip to Sharp's Ridge(Knoxville Tn) this past Sat. morning yeilded
few birds and a very disturbing sight indeed.For those of you who have been
up there ,you are all to familiar with the sight of huge T.V.and comm. towers

on the ridge.The shocking part for me was seeing the assembly of another
massive tower right next to WATE's current tower.This one will dwarf anything

up there,by about 300ft.A huge swath of trees was also removed to allow for
stringing of the supporting wires for this monster.The amount of tree
destruction for this project is crazy.Three huge strips of trees cut away. I
spoke with a very proud engineer up there Sat.He filled me in on all the
details.He was very glad to tell me that another one of these giants would be

built across I-275 from the west end of Sharp's Ridge.If you travel around
the interstate you have probably noticed the pillaging of this ridge above
the intersection of I-275andI-640.That is where this next tower will be
erected.I shudder to think of all the birds headed this way that will surely
meet an untimely death because of these newest obstacles,not to mention the
loss of more habitat.I know this is a national and an international problem,I

guess it's harder to take when it happens in your on back yard! Thanks for
letting me vent a little. Tony Headrick KTOS