[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake Region

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:20:45 -0500

Glen Criswell and I birded a couple of days this week in this area. We had no
unusual finds.
White Lake is fairly dry due to the loss of the main pump there a few weeks
ago.  TWRA is getting bids on repairing or replacing it. They are afraid it
will not be back in service this fall.  (However, I am sure they will get it
fixed before the duck season.)

Highway 103 and Great River Road is still good habit but this area is drying up
and will be gone in a few weeks.  We had 13 Black-necked Stilts, 14 Stilt
Sandpipers, 15 Pectoral Sandpipers, 1 Solitary, 1 Semi-palmated Plover, 1
Spotted. 1 Lesser Yellowlegs and 2 Least there on Wednesday.

Highway 79 and Great River Road has become an excellent habitat for shorebirds
with the water dropping. We had a good number there Wednesday including 11
Black-necked Stilts and 6 Solitary Sandpipers. The water is down enough so one
can easily walk into  this area.

Island 13 is in good shape with numerous pools and the sand is firmer than in
the past.  We had 2 Caspian Terns, 3 White Pelicans and six species of
shorebirds there Wednesday.  A hunting club (a different one than had it
before) has chained the main entrance to the Island and the only way to drive
in requires a four-wheel drive vehicle

There is some good habitat in Black Bayou Handicapped unit on the right (south)
side of the road before reaching the main entrance.  TWRA has pumped water into
this area especially for shorebirds.

They also have put some water back into the area of Black Bayou WMA near the
Bell's Vireo nesting spot but there is a lot of grass in there which they are
trying to eradicate.

Phillippy Pitts is just about dry but the Ibis Hole still has water and does
not seem to be losing it very rapidly.  Except for an occasional duck and some
Egrets and Herons, the Ibis Hole  has been bare most of the year.

Black Bayou Phillippy still has water but the grass there extends to the edge
of the water leaving very little
shorebird habitat.

In Kentucky, Lake # 9 is now good for shorebirds.  It  has been higher all of
this year than in the past but now has dropped with mud flats primary at the
south end.

Open Pond is just about gone but there is still some habitat left at Willow
Pond.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN
Dyer County