[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake Region

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:17:21 -0500

Since Monday Glen Criswell, Betty and I have birded nearly everyday this week
in the Dyer, Lake, Obion counties in Tennessee and Fulton County in Kentucky.
We had seven species of ducks at White Lake during this period.  They were
Mallard (30+), Blue-winged Teal (2 pair), Green-winged Teal (1 Male), Pintail
(Pair), Wood Duck (2 pair), Hooded Merganser (12) and Shoveler (1).

As I indicated in my last post, the Obion River flooded White Lake and the
water level is still not down to good shorebird habitat yet but should be this
week.

Shorebirds were scarce this week.  We had a Greater Yellowlegs in breeding
plumage at White Lake on June 24 and a Willet at the south end of the Tenn-Mo
Levee road in receding flood waters on June 22. We also had an immature
Ring-billed Gull that stayed at this location the entire week in the flood
waters and in the fields surrounding the water as it receded.

Black-necked Stilts are still around all over the area. For the past few weeks
there were six at White Lake and at least two nests but they were flooded out
with the rise into the lake from the Obion River last week.

We had 2 on Great River Road just north of the Obion River bridge and there was
one nest. We had six Stilts in Mud Lake with what appeared to be one nest.
There were two at Black-bayou Phillippy and six at Open Pond in Fulton County,
Kentucky.  In spite of the rain the water level in Black-bayou WMA has dropped
and it looks good for shorebirds.  We did have 5 young Pied-billed Grebes there
on the 26th.

Open Pond in Kentucky has quite a bit of water and may provide some shorebird
habitat in the next few weeks as will Willow Pond.  Lake Number 9 still has
more water in it than I have seen in a number of years leaving little area for
shorebirds. On the other hand, Longpoint does not have much water in the normal
shorebird areas.

In summary, habitat should be good in most of the Region during the next few
weeks if we can get some southbound wind birds.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN
Dyer County