[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Area

  • From: "Desgrosellier, Jay" <jay.desgrosellier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 13:42:44 -0500

Sunday, May 23, 2004
Reelfoot Lake Area (Lake and Dyer Co., TN)

Chris Sloan and I made a run up to the Reelfoot area in hopes of finding
some of the good birds reported there Saturday. We missed the hoped for
Gull-billed Tern and Whimbrels, but found enough birds to make the trip
worthwhile. The best birds were 5 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, four in
breeding plumage, in the ponds along Hurd Loop Road and hwy. 103. Also
present here were a drake NORTHERN PINTAIL, and a female scaup,
presumably the same bird found Saturday.

At White Lake Refuge we found a large flock of 200+ SEMIPALMATED
SANDPIPERS, accompanied by 2 DUNLIN, 4 BLACK-NECKED STILTS, 2
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS and several LEAST SANDPIPERS. Also at White Lake
were 9 BLACK TERNS standing out next to the numerous LEAST TERNS present
here.

Both Chris and I noted that the numbers of herons and egrets present in
the area appear larger than those found in previous springs, especially
CATTLE EGRETS, SNOWY EGRETS and LITTLE BLUE HERONS. Cattle Egrets in
particular were everywhere. We estimated their numbers at 300+ on the
day.

Jay Desgrosellier
Nashville, TN