[TN-Bird] Woodpecker world, and lots more!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:02:29 EDT

Greetings from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville just a few blocks
east of the old Cleece's Ferry landing and boat launching ramp.
As I walked out to refill the "Smorg-a-bird" this morning, I heard an
unfamiliar tap-tapping on the dead ash tree to the south of my deck.  I looked
around
and found a hairy woodpecker just going crazy up there.  He'd tap furiously
for a moment, the scratch and preen himself just as furiously for the next few
moments.  He repeated this behavior several times before flying off in the
direction of a "friend" who had called for him from a yard east of mine.

While the hairy was performing, one of the flickers was clee-yer-ing from the
top of a favorite transformer on the utility pole on a corner of my back
yard.  An answer was coming from over nearer the Cumberland River, and, moments
later, a second flicker appeared atop the utility pole.  They put on quite a
show chortling back and forth to show evidence of their enduring attachment to
each other.  Gosh, I hope they are not considering the transformer as a nesting
site again!  "Fried flicker" would not be a nice menu addition in MY back
yard!

During all this woodpecker windfall, my little downy couple were "talking"
from the middle of the back yard somewhere and making a few trips to the
feeders
for peanut butter and sunflower seed.  As they were doing SOME "take-out,"
there must be babies back there in one of those tree cavities.

Although the bossy mockingbirds have two fledglings at the feeder from their
nest across the street, I think they either must have one left to feed (VERY
late member of the same clutch?), or they have started sitting on another set
of eggs.  That particular pair has always been VERY PRODUCTIVE starting a new
nesting just as soon as the fledgelings from the previous nesting become
self-sufficient.  While sitting, the adults feed each other when the peanut
butter,
jelly, apple, orange or other fruit goes on the feeder.  Two more clutches of
baby mocks are being fed in other yards adjacent to mine.

A HUGE family of chickadees and several families of cardinals are visitors
along with all those "kiddies" from three couples of house sparrows, loads of
house finches, blue jays, mourning doves, etc.

My PAIR of field sparrows have returned and are carrying food off to
I-don't-know-wheresville-to-my-west, AND, yesterday morning, a sweet little
house wren
perched on the chair right outside the French doors where it sang away for a
few moments before hopping down to the deck floor, working its way along the
deck edge, up to the water fountain to get a drink, then to the PEANUT BUTTER!
Score another bird on the list of peanut butter eaters!  It figures, as
"Cousin Carolina" has been gorging on PB here for years.

This morning has been topped off by a soaring sharp-shinned hawk surveying
all my bird activity possibly in hopes of scoring a meal for himself!

Birding life is good, so cheers & prayers for more,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN