[TN-Bird] Nighthawk Migration

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:07:35 EDT

Sept. 22, 2003
Bartlett, TN

This afternoon while driving east on Stage Road in Bartlett, I noticed a few
Common Nighthawks flying very high and going south. The birds were not doing
much feeding and were as intent on straight line flight as I've ever seen. I
pulled into a large open parking lot where I had a good view in every
direction.
With my glasses I started to scan and I picked up birds as far as I could
see. After those bird went over I noticed the movement had drifted to the east
and I drove about 1/2 mile to the next lot with a view. In a little more than
30
minutes I had counted 377 nighthawks.

I have seen late afternoon feeding frenzies of larger numbers, swinging low
over the trees in the past but never, that I can remember, such a determined
bunch of graceful nighthawks, steadily moving south..........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN