[tn-bird] Cold Front sweeps shorebirds.

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 06:51:36 EDT

Aug. 5, 2002
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

The cold front passed through Memphis on Tuesday and I didn't make it down to
the pits until after work on Wednesday. The numbers had been decreasing a
little each day but they had dropped drastically. Mike Todd reported 40 or so
Lesser Yellowlegs had dropped in overnight on Monday. I counted exactly two.
The Semipalmated Sandpipers which we had had a very early huge number had
dropped 75%, Pectorals and Least Sandpipers just a little less than that.
Didn't get to stay long but did find 1 adult Baird's.

Still a couple of thousand plus birds but a lot of them were laying around,
fat and sassy so they will pull out soon. There are birds in the pipeline
heading this way hopefully and as usual there will be a few surprises. Sure
going to make it a lot easier to count this weekend.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.