[TN-Bird] Chota Waterfowl Refuge, Monroe County

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:17:30 -0400

east Tennessee...south of Vonore, Monroe County

On Saturday evening (about 6-10 p.m.), Audrey Hoff, Mike Nelson and I visited
this site, with the primary goal to see what night birds would be about at
sunset.
Before dark, we drove in to the cemetery and walked out past the gate.

Highlights in this area:
Lots of PURPLE MARTINs were feeding in the air. This was my first record for
this species here, though I've visited this site many times.
Great Egret
Green Heron
Great Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron (imm)
Osprey
American Kestrel, female
Fields and pond held 50+ CANADA GEESE, at least 4 with collars:

R46E
R01E
R39E
R06E

As the sun set, we were hoping for a nightjar show, but I guess it is a bit
late in the summer. I usually get out there in June and see and/or hear
Chuck-will's-widows and Whip-poor-wills, as well as occassional American
Woodcock. This evening we heard onle one CHUCK-WILL'S-WIDOW, and it called for
only a short time.
The number of EASTERN SCREECH-OWLs heard was well worth the trip - at least
seven. We may also have heard a distant Great Horned Owl, but it could have
been some of the hunting dogs that regularly get lost out there. At one point,
we were hearing 3 screech owls close by.

Other creatures of note:
damselflies: Citrine Forktail; Orange Bluet
butterfly: Little Yellow - more easily found in this area than back in Knox
County.

David Trently
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES