[TN-Bird] California Gull - Savannah Bottoms - Hardin Co. TN also AR and AL

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:43:06 EST

Jan. 10, 2003

Clyde Blum and I were birding the Savannah Bottoms on Saturday and after
working northward through the bottoms and eating lunch in Savannah, I
remembered
at wet hole north of the west end of the TN River Bridge. Crossing the bridge
we could see a nice accumulation of gulls and took the first right (north)
after the bridge. Some of the gulls were north of the road and close to it, so
stopped on the east edge of the water for us to scope out the birds. In the
flock closer to the road, I ran across a bird I recognized as a first winter
California Gull. I called Clyde's attention to the bird and ticked off the ID
details. I have had California Gulls on three other occasions at Pickwick Dam.
After going into each detail and making sure we saw each field mark well, I
decided to move down the road to position us for some photos. Unfortunately
these
bird flushed, some moving back away from the road while others left the area.
This is a day roost site with gulls moving into and out of the pool almost
continuously.

I could not relocate the bird but while scanning, I found an immature Lesser
Black-backed Gull which we enjoyed and watched as it got up and circled over
head before heading out. I continued searching the flock and came across a nice
immature Thayer's Gull (this was what Clyde had been on me about for a year
and the reason for his trip) which was good enough to stand still for a set of
photos. I had seen a very light Thayer's at the Dam on Friday afternoon but
this bird was darker so there are at least 2 in the area just as last year when
Steve Dinsmore and I had two different birds one light and one slightly darker.

On Sunday, Kenny and LaDonna Nichols, located and photographed a second
winter California Gull in Arkansas and Monday - 1-12-04, Greg Jackson found a
first
winter California on the coast in Alabama. Three California Gulls in 3
successive days in 3 States, means these birds may be found at this time just
about
anywhere if you will just get out and put in the time......

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN