[TN-Bird] Brown-headed Nuthatches - West TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:50:40 EST

Jan. 10, 2004
Pickwick Dam
Hardin Co. TN
While birding with Clyde Blum from Chattanooga on Saturday, we came across a
huge mixed flock at the camp grounds below the dam. In this flock of 50+
Juncos and 75 Chipping Sparrows we also located dozens of Yerllow-rumped
Warblers 7
Palm warblers, 3 Pine Warblers and 3 Brown-headed Nuthatches. Later in the
day we were on the west side of the river in the park. when Clyde heard
Brown-headed Nuthatches again.

I have had this species only one other time on the west side of the river
since Steve McConnell and I first located these birds some years back which was
the first sighing that I know of for this area of TN. This time with Clyde's
help I was able to document the birds occurrence west of the TN River. I'll
share the photos with those interested.

We also had a very large number of Vesper Sparrows in the area with over 26
birds counted plus more at Pace Point the following day. Palm Warblers were
also seen in two other locations bringing the weekend total to 10+.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN