[TN-Bird] 3 Loons & Continuation of 6 Gulls in Tennessee:

  • From: "Clyde Blum" <cdblum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:44:28 -0800

On Monday, my 3rd consecutive day of  birding with Jeff Wilson (aka Ol' Coot),
he delivered again. Our group was guided to 3 loon species in the same scope
field by Jeff. An adult Pacific Loon, a Red-troated Loon, and a Common Loon. We
had side by side comparisons of the species for over an hour. These birds were
seen in the Big Sandy River south west of Pace Point, part of the Tennessee
National Wildlife Refuge, at a place Jeff calls Rocky Point. Jeff and I met
Nancy Moore, Ed Manous and Ed's brother Carlyle at Britton Ford, in the
morning, and birded the day away.

In addition to the 6 gull species seen on Saturday, previously mentioned in a
post by Mike Todd, we had:
10 sparrow species - Chipping, Field, Fox, Le Conte's(5), Savannah, Song,
Swamp, Vesper (30), White-crowned, and White-throated.
3 falcons - Peregrine, Merlin, and Kestrel.
60 Bald Eagles, and 3 Golden Eagles.
An incredible 3 day weekend. I have not yet totaled a species count, that will
have to wait., I 'm going to bed now.

Clyde Blum
Signal Mountain, TN
(Near Chattanooga)