[tn-bird] Re: Albinistic sparrow type?

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:06:14 EDT

Thanks for replying.  I looked at your albino, and my bird does not have
nearly as much white on it.  It's tail is white with about a two to three
feather wide fawn colored strip down the middle, just a little white edge on
the bend of the wing and a white dot where a second wing bar would be.
Otherwise, its back is all a shade or two lighter than a field sparrow.  It
has the flesh pink bill and legs, but I have not spotted an eye ring.  My
guess has been that it is a field sparrow, but I really cannot call it for
sure.

The bird has been here all morning, feeding on seed on my deck then
retreating to the edge of the deck under the cover and a huge wild grape vine
which rambles from the northeast corner of my deck all the way across the
east, half way around the south end and half way around the north end.
Cardinals and wrens have been using it for cover this summer as well.  I last
saw the bird about 12:30 when it took cover after a big meal in the company
of rock doves, mourning doves and cardinals.  It DOES NOT seem to want to eat
when the house finches and house sparrows are down there.  It seems to like
to eat with the "big boys" probably for protection as it may be outcast from
its own kind because it is "different."  The bird seems to be having a
problem with its left leg.  It appears to be hopping only on the right leg.
When it flies, it uses its wings to touch the deck floor for balance while it
gets its bearings.  When it has flown to a spot where it needs to "grasp"
with its toes to perch, it seems to teeter.  At times, it appears to be
trying to walk across the feeding area rather than hop.

It is my strong suspicion that it is a slightly albinistic field sparrow as I
am pretty sure they do live year around about a mile away from me (in Bell's
Bend, across the Cumberland River).  They usually sneak over to my feeder
when it gets cold.  The bird is too close by for my binoculars to help me
much (they are 10 X 50 Bushnells), and my cataract edged eyeballs cannot
focus in on everything, so I am probably missing some prime markings.  As of
this point, the sweet little thing is just a mystery bird that I will keep on
feeding as long as it stays and survives.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN