[tn-bird] Ruddy Shelducks

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:23:30 EDT

Almost forgot about another interesting sighting from Saturday in Lake
County. While looking at the rapidly drying Ibis Hole (Phillipy area) we saw
a free-flying group of 5 gorgeous Ruddy Shelducks. None of them are banded,
and acted "wild", keeping a close eye on us and flying once to put a little
more distance between us and them. Wherever they came from they are worth a
look if you happen to see them in the area. Since I'm assuming someone lost
them, does anyone have any idea how much these ducks cost when buying from a
breeder? (Just curious) I know some of the more exotic species are fairly
expensive, but I'm assuming these birds are fairly widespread, although this
is the 1st time any of us had come across them in the wild.

Mike Todd