[tn-bird] Albinistic sparrow type?

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:42:16 EDT

Right at this moment, there is a sparrow type bird on my deck which is
primarily fawn backed (field sparrow color) with one or two fawn colored
feathers running down  a slightly notched, medium length tail between
double-wide white outer tail feathers The bird also has white edging along
the edge of the bend of the wing   At about the area of a second wing bar,
there is a white spot sort of suggesting a wing bar is coming or should be
there.  It has a flesh colored bill and pinkish legs like a field sparrow.  I
do not see an eye ring.  I have had field sparrows here in the past, but only
in the winter when food is scarce and they come here where it is easy to get.

The bird is feeding well among the cardinals, house finches, house sparrows,
mourning doves and rock doves who are hogging feed down right now.  It seems
to have trouble getting around, especially in landing after flight.  I think
it is either a young bird of some kind or a sick bird.  I am at a loss as to
what the bird is.  Unfortunately, I am out of film.

If any locals want to check with me, my number is in the NTOS directory.  The
bird has been out on the deck since 5:50 PM when it flew up from the deck to
the rail after I let my poodles out.  It came down to feed as soon as I let
them back in.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN