[tinwhiskers] Re: Not exactly tin whiskers, but I seek your support.

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:51:04 -0500

I completely agree with you Denny.

Furthermore, as John Burke and Bert Mason have just commented, commercial
equipment has been failing.

What manufacturer in the commercial world is going to go to the trouble to
research the cause of a failed unit in the warranty period?   They will try a
few simple repair steps then when the cause isn't obvious (and with tin
whiskers it never is) then they simply replace the failed unit and throw it in
the nearest dumpster.

After the warranty has expired (generally 90 days or as much as a year) then
the consumer will throw the failed unit in their garbage can.

In either case, no-one will report to this group or iNEMI or NASA (and
certainly not the press) that their products are failing more often and doing
so for misterious reasons.

Ron Lasky is making his conclusions up from thin air and scientifically
speaking based on, as Werner says, all manner of tests except for iNEMI,
conclude that SnPb is far better than lead-free solder (tin whiskers aside).

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments,LLC
www.hlinstruments.com
LDF Coatings, LLC