[THIN] Re: XPe or MPS4 ???

  • From: Philip Walley <mythinlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:04:58 -0600

yep, running it now

Bill Beckett wrote:

Don't they have PS4 for Win2K?

On 1/3/06, *Berny Stapleton* <berny.stapleton@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:berny.stapleton@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

It depends, if you have subscription advantage then you should be
able to get MPS4 for nothing. I don't think you can get XPe
licenses any longer, I think you can buy MPS4 licenses and get XPe
licenses from the tech support desks, but I am pretty sure that
XPe licenses can't be bought as of end of last year. (Check with
your reseller though)
If you had Microsoft subscription advantage cover of your Win2k
clients when Windows XP came out (24th April 2003) you will find
that you will be entitled to the Win2k3 TS CALs as well. So
essentially, you have already paid for the software side of
things.(
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/tsletter.mspx
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/tsletter.mspx>)
If not then you will have to pay for the Win2k3 TS CALs. So single
wammy. If you don't have the Subscription Advantage, then you
would have had to pay for both.
If you have support on your Citrix XPe, then you could well find
that you are entitled to MPS4.
At the end fo the day cost or not, you are going to have to
upgrade, Win2k is already in Extended support, and although it
will be around for another 4 years, it's going to be dead soon
enough. It's coming up to 6 years old now. Dollars and cents will
should also include the cost of migrating your platform. You may
find that some of the applications that you run on your Citrix
servers at the moment might not be supported on Win2k3.
Soon enough XPe isn't going to be supported. I am pretty sure that
it gets pulled from maintenance as of the end of this year, and it
his unsupported end of next...
Berny
*From:* thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx