[THIN] Re: XPe or MPS4 ???

  • From: "Berny Stapleton" <berny.stapleton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:06:21 -0000

Yes, as per the other email to the list, I am pretty sure that XPe is
still supported till the end of next year.

The only difference would be, that although there is more rebuilds it's
a staged migration and can be easier to handle by the users as there is
a potential for "Look and feel" to change.

Also, there may be problems with internally developed applications and
jumping from one platform (Win2k with XPe) to another (Win2k3 with MPS4)
so it might be a requirement from an extended testing point of view.

I know in a migration that I did at a previous company I had to do a
staged upgrade of Win2k/XPe to Win2k/XPe (Moved the farm from one
datacentre to another) and then upgrade the farm to Win2k3/XPe and then
rebuild again to MPS4 once we knew that everything was going to run
correctly.

Pain in the butt to do, but at the same time we didn't want the risk as
the whole business was dependent on this farm.

Berny

  _____