[THIN] Typing Delay - Need some expert advice......please!!!!

  • From: "adamadz" <adz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:55:05 -0400

Hi everyone,

We're experiencing intermittent (but frequent) typing delays on both of
our Citrix environments (one production one soon-to-be-production) but I
feel I've been down almost all of the normal paths.  Here are the stats:

Production environment: 5 servers, DL360 G2s, MF XP 1.0, Microsoft
Windows 2000 Advanced SP3 + KB324446, KB824146, KB81669 Hotfixes, 2GB
RAM, Office 2000
Test environment: 6 servers, DL380 G4s, MF XP 3.0, Microsoft Windows
2000 Advanced SP4 + All hotfixes (as of last week) + all Citrix
hotfixes, Office 2003

In both environments, we get occasional typing delays from users for a
few seconds when they're using email (Outlook is editor, not Word).
CPU/Memory are both fine during the reported sluggishness.  Network
latency is well below the threshold as this is happening even on the
local LAN segement.  I've run bandwith and ping testing and this comes
back with 890 MB/sec and less than 1 ms delay time.  Port speed and
duplex has also been locked down on the server NICs and switchports....
But we're still having a noticible issue.

With the non-production boxes, only a handful of users are on them, so
maybe 1 person per server and there's still a problem... I'm at my wit's
end and I've already opened a ticket with Citrix, but it's a painful
process since it's only an intermittent issue.  Speedscreen is not
turned on.  As I mentioned, since users on the same subnet with a
Gigabit connection are also having the problem, I don't see how it can
be bandwith/latency related.  I'd rather not mask the problem before
actually finding out the root of it.  I've tried disabling all of the
Citrix virtual channels and still no luck..

Has anyone else had this happen?  Any ideas on what I might be missing?
Does this sound Citrix related or network related?  Any gut feelings?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-adamadz