[THIN] Tip of the Week: Easy way for users to install Microsoft Certificate from your Web Interface

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:56:50 -0700 (PDT)

 Hi All,
After my Verisign cert on my web interface got corrupted and I went to verisign
to get a replacement and found that they wanted $100 to give me a copy of a
cert that I paid $1300 for I said no more!  So we installed a Microsoft
Certificate on our web interface server.
But now how to explain to 1300 users how to install it?? Ugh.

Well I happened across Thomas Koetzing's tip on how to automatically install it
via activeX.
See:
http://www.thomaskoetzing.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=101

This tip gives you explicit instructions in the download on how to install the
necessary files to make the private certificate load when the user accesses your
web interface page via activeX.

Of course not wanting to scare my users with ActiveX I went the route of just
placing a link to an asp file I put on the server that loads the cert with two
yes clicks by the user:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297681

The above article is a pretty much a copy and paste deal. Just copy the text
and create a file and put it in your root Web interface directory.  The only
thing you need to change
in the file is the location of where your certificate file resides on your
server.

I then just edited the /auth/header.inc file and put a link to the asp file I
created from the above article.

 Works like a champ!

Jim Kenzig
CEO The Kenzig Group