[THIN] Re: Tip of the Week: Easy way for users to install Microsoft Certificate from your Web Interface

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 18:11:48 -0400

Yup.  Until I got involved, we did everything with VeriSign.  Everyone
knows their name, so people default to them. No good reason to do that
however.

I switched to GeoTrust under an Enterprise SSL agreement, which drops it
down to $200/year for a 1 year on a "pay as you go" (uses a credit
card), or $145/year if I buy a block of 5 SSL certs at 2 year duration
up front, which gives you 2 extra free months I think.  There are even
higher discounts for bigger volumes.

Thawte is also cheaper then VeriSign, and RapidSSL.com is one of the
cheapest and still be fully trusted as part of the root certifies
provided by Windows.

We wanted to stay with a "big name", so it was VeriSign, Thawte, or
GeoTrust, and I heard good things about GeoTrust customer service, so we
ended up there.  I'm happy with the choice, especially given the fact
that I can have them pre-register domains, and once that occurs, I can
order new SSL certs and approve them all by myself.  Nice and quick.