[THIN] Re: Thin clients for multiple customers on one physical server?

  • From: "Jay Banks" <ccna@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:21:40 -0500

MessageOnce again, I really appreciate the replies I have gotten.

A few comments:

EZ wrote:

Any way you look at this its not going to happen eloquently or even feasiblity
wise in a single server design it would be a ludicrious thought to even try to
design something with a single point of failure anymore, that is what you must
get through the "highers" heads first before you go down a very expensive
proposition with Citrix Metaframe or TSE, or other vendors.

Normally, I'm aware of the divide between IT and "highers," but what we are
faced with is the prospect of starting out with what we all agree will be a few
small companies to start out with. Even I myself have a hard time explaining
why, if we had three companies with five people each, they should each have a
server...especially when that  one1000.00-plus server should be quite capable
of handling 15 people.

Nick wrote:

In terms of Microsoft licensing, you *must* use the Microsoft SPLA agreement,
which is basically a rental agrement.

What management really wants to do is provide server space and bandwidth and
let the customer install their own apps. The licensing issues are complex, and
I'm not even sure if we could get away with that?

I was asked how anyone makes money on this and I didn't exactly have a good
answer.

If each customer has their own server and you have 1500.00 to 2000.00 tied up
in hardware/software (and that is just bare bones) and you expect to charge
80.00 a month for this service, then you are looking at 25 months before you
even break even. If you happen to throw in providing applications, and get into
the licensing issues, if you wanted to stay 100% legal, it looks like you could
add another 25 months (or more) into the mix before you paid off all your
startup. (And after the first 25 months you are looking at having outdated
equipment!)

And the question that leads me to, is exactly how many people are staying 100%
legal in this mess?

To date, we have been a Wireless ISP. While there hasn't been much money in
that either, at least it is pretty darn straight forward.

Thanks,

Jay Banks