[THIN] Re: TS Licensing Question

  • From: "Thomas, Jeremy" <Jeremy.Thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:04:56 +0100

Arthur,

TSCAL license tokens are issues differently from W2K SP2 to SP3. Under SP2,
once a license is issued, it stays with the client. This causes problems if you
re-install the client, as you need to go through a complicated procedure to
recover the license.

If you have SP3 installed, all licenses issued have an expiry date, up to 90
days from issue. Therefore if you reinstall a client, the old license token
issued will become available before any temporary (90 day) license issued to
the new client might have expired.

If you have licences that have been issued before SP3, (or SP2 with the
licensing hotfix) they never expire.

First thoughts would be that you've stuck SP3 on (I think the license server)
sometime between the 16th and 30th of Jan. I think that the SP of the terminal
servers themselves doesn't matter, though I'd have to check up on this to be
sure.

Regards,

Jeremy Thomas