[THIN] Re: Strange Printer Issue !

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:14:52 +1000

Hi Mark,

The CMC controlled mechanism does a fine job of replicating driver files and
the appropriate registry entries, though I'd suggest you avoid automatic
replication if possible.

However it doesn't do the last step which is getting Unidriver-based drivers
ready for printing by compiling the printer property definition (GPD file) into
a BUD file. For that a user needs read/write access to the
spool\drivers\w32x86\3 directory.

Admins could propagate any changed BUD files to all servers with the new
drivers but any drivers that use multiple GPD include files may defeat you,
since installing a new include file will mean that all other drivers that use
the same include file will also have to be recompiled.

The easiest option is to use a TS group policy to deprotect
%systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3. You can secure things so that
only admins can add printer drivers. See KB article 262202 for details, or
check //www.freelists.org/archives/thin/03-2004/msg01636.html.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack