[THIN] Re: Redundant Data Collector

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:22:46 +1200

Hmmm not quite ....

As Ryan says - you can only have one data collector per zone - if that data
collector goes offline an election is held (similar to Master browser
elections in Windows or ICA Browser elections pre MF XP).  This happens
automatically - you do not have to do not have to set anything to make this
happen.  The setting of a server's preference helps determine which server
will win this election and become the new data collector.   Also if the
original server has a higher preference it will become the DC when it is
bought back on line.

Setting a server's preference enables you to control which server will be
the DC in your zone and which server will take on that role should the most
preferred server go offline.  In the manual pages I referenced in my first
post, Citrix recommends having a dedicated DC (a server that does not host
applications for client sessions) in large zones and enterprise networks
with high client traffic.

If you are planning to take the current DC offline you can change it's
preference lower and make another server the most preferred for your zone
and it will take over the dc role for the zone while the first server is
still online.  You can then take the first server offline with out
disrupting the DC function in your zone.

I am not sure if this is necessary or not but tend to do this when shutting
down my most preferred DC during working hours.

-Ec

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Euan Cooper
Posted At: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 3:40 PM
Posted To: The thin mailing list
Conversation: [THIN] Re: Redundant Data Collector

I think you both need to read pages 189 to 192 of the Metaframe XP admin
guide - this section covers most of what you need to know about data
collectors.

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Dan Poon Posted At: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 10:54 AM Posted
To: The thin mailing list
Conversation: Redundant Data Collector
Subject: [THIN] Redundant Data Collector

Hi Everyone,
I have 8 citrix xp servers and currently one data collector. I would
like to have at least 2 data collectors in my farm but, I can not find
the option on the CMC.

Can someone point me in the right position.

Thanks,

Dan

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.
consulting services you can depend on.