[THIN] Re: OT: GPO Folder Redirection

  • From: "Joel Stolk" <JStolk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:16:23 -0500

Jon,

We use the logon script of the end users' GPO to call a .reg file to
redirect many folders, including the Start menu.

Here's the steps I followed:

1. Set up a test user and login to the Citrix server.
2. Run Regedit and modify the paths at
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Us
er Shell Folders" to point to wherever you want them to go for the end
users.
3. Export from Regedit to a reg file.  You'll have to do it this way
unless you're good at reading hex.
4. Create a file share to hold the .reg file.  Give your end users read
access.
5. In the Group Policy Object Editor, add a line to their login script
as follows:
regedt32.exe /s "\\server\fileshare$\redirect.reg"

We use this method not only for a common start menu, but redirecting
other folders back to the home drive and registry settings not available
in the GPO templates.  Some redirects work better than others,
performance wise.

Good luck,
Joel