[THIN] OT: DFS on W95

  • From: "Pavlo Ignatusha" <pignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Org Thin (E-mail)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:33:08 -0400

Hi group,

It is a bit off-topic but I thought somebody may know it right away. I
looked around but did not find the answer.

I'm trying to consolidate my storage using DFS. Unfortunately I have to
support w95 clients. I installed AD client for W95 from W2K server CD. Now
I'm testing home drive mapping in the shape of
\\nt_domain_name\dfsroot\home_drive_dfs_link_name\username. The home folder
already exist (was created when I logged on to W2K Pro PC with this
account). If I login to W2K PC the homedrive maps to the folder and if I
login to W95 PC I only get \\nt_domain_name\dfsroot mapped. Is this a
limitation of W95 DFS or I'm doing smth wrong? Everywhere they say it should
work in W95 with exception of DNS-shape domain names and Netware volumes. I
only use NT domain name in the dfs path...

I tried mapping using "net use" or using kix with "use @HOMESHR" - the
result is same thing described above.

Thanks in advance,

Pavlo Ignatusha
Systems Network Coordinator
Pembroke General Hospital
Tel. (613) 732-3675 ext.6150
Fax. (613) 732-9986
www.pemgenhos.org

"All that matters is love and work" - Sigmund Freud.

This Weeks Sponsor RTO Software
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=320