[THIN] Network Optmization : Output queue length very high

  • From: "Bruce Jarrett-Norton" <bjarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:29:18 -0400

Ok some setup and background:

About 150 users in various sites through out Michigan and Wyoming with a
balancing of about 10 to 20 users per server at a time.

6 citrix servers with Win 2k sp4 Citrix Xpe FRx3 SP 3  dual Xenon's with
2 gig RAM Broadcom Gigabit NIC
1 file / primary ad server with Win 2k sp4 dual Xenon's with 2 gig RAM
3Comm Gigabit NIC
1 SQL server with Win 2k sp4 SQL 2k dual Xenon's with 2 gig RAM and
3Comm Gigabit NIC
1 file / print spooler / secondary ad same as above

Anti-Virus Computer Associates Inoculate

Running applications in seamless using a frame relay connection to
remote offices on 56k up to 256k connections even some dialups running
through our NFUSE portal.

Applications include all MS office apps, MS streets, MS publisher, ABARA
payroll, PSI propane program, Landmark Aries, MAS 500, Crystal Reports,
JJ Keller Drug Testing, JJ Keller Maintanance, JJ Keller Driver File,
Qquest Maintance, FAST CBM, FAST Piper, FAS, CSI.Road Trucking Software,
Adobe Reader and WinZip.

The problem(s):

The main problem is what we are calling stuttering.  This is where the
user types in a word and it can take 3 to 5 seconds for it to appear.
Also, sometimes a user get locked up in an application and cannot do
anything until we log them off the server but all other users on that
server are having no problems.  We were looking at Brian Maddens
Optimizing TS servers and all of our settings except 1 seem with in
normal range.   The one is the Network Interface Output queue length.
It is over 3,000,000,00 most of the time and can spike up to well over
4,000,000,000.  That is right the billion marks.  By everything that we
see and read we should not be able to communicate with the servers at
all and our networks should be down.  We do have 802.1p compliant
switches and have enabled that on out network cards.  A couple now show
quick drops to 0 but right back up to the 3,000,000,000 + mark.  In
addition we contacted Microsoft and got the hotfix talked about in Kbase
Article 822226 - Output Queue Length Performance Counter Value Is Not
Reliable on Computers with Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP) Architecture
and applied this to one of the servers and now it has dropped down to
the 700,000,000 range.  Any ideas?  Are we barking up the right tree
with this?

Bruce Jarrett-Norton
Dart Energy Corporation
Mason, MI
This Weeks Sponsor RTO Software
users, and time of day possible problems exist.
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id20