[THIN] Re: M$ Patching...

  • From: "Tasita Ebacher" <tebacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:08:16 -0500

Jim, I don't think ANY of those GP options solve this issue!

I've been trying to solve this issue for months now!  All my Terminal
Services uses get the "Updating your computer is almost complete. You
must restart your computer for the updates to take effect.  Restart now,
Restart Later" pop-up with the buttons grayed out so they can't even
close the window!

I don't even have "Computer Configuration\Administrative
Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update - Do not display Install and
Shutdown" in my GP... (isn't this for XP SP2?)

I have "Computer Configuration\Admin Templates\Windows
Components\Windows Update - Allow non-administrators to receive update
notifications" set to Disabled. This only prevents users from receiving
the actual prompts to update windows, not the restart prompts.

I have "Computer Configuration\Admin Templates\Windows
Components\Windows Update - No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic
Updates installations" set to Enabled, which will just cause the
computer to ask the user to restart rather than just rebooting on it's
own.

And, after all this, my users STILL get the reboot-prompt pop-up.  So,
is there actually a way to prevent this?

Tasita Ebacher
702 Communications
Data Systems Engineer
CCNA

On 23/08/05, Jim Kenzig Kenzig.com <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Aaaargh is it here?:
>
>  The policies are accessed in the Computer
> Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
> Update node of Group Policy Object Editor.Do not display Install and
Shutdown option.

> here?:
>

> Computer, Admin Templates, Windows Components, Windows Update.
>
> In particular, "Allow non-administrators to receive update
notifications"

> or here?
> Computer Config-> Admin Templates-> Windows Components-> Windows
> Update
>
> Set "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations" to

> Enabled
>
> Group policy is such a pain in th butt!
> JK

This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2
use the below link: