[THIN] Re: License server across WAN Link

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 23:19:32 +1100

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for your reply.  The WAN link is 30Mb so Im hoping the Citrix Servers
will have a reliable connection to the License Server at all times.  I will
give it a go.  I read a few Citrix documents but I have a few questions.

1) I need to get my licenses re-issued as the server name in the UK is
different to the existing License Server.  If I return existing licenses will
my Production farm stop working?  There may be a gap of a few days before the
new license file is added to the new Licensing Server.  I want to ensure
existing Citrix Production users are not impacted when the licenses are
returned.

2) Are there any issues with setting 1 Citrix Server to use the new Licensing
Server in the UK whilst the other Citrix servers point to local License Server?
 Id like to do this for testing purposes to ensure the Citrix Servers are
working off the remote UK License Server before moving the entire farm to the
remote License Server.

3) If the Citrix Server looses connectivity to the License Server, will the
existing Citrix User sessions be dropped or would they be given a grace license
automatically until the connectivity to the Citrix License Server is restored?
Is this seamless to the user?

Thanks
Ang

Subject: [THIN] Re: License server across WAN Link
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 19:34:46 +1100
From: Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Ang,

The short answer is that this will most probably cause problems
and is a bad design. There are some awesome whitepapers from Citrix on how the
licensing service works. But basically this is what I typically write in my
design documents (taken straight from the whitepapers)…

“At startup, a XenApp server talks to the License Server
and gets a startup license. This action will consume 9.87Kb of bandwidth. If
the License Server is not available, the server goes into the grace period and
the IMA (Independent Management Architecture) Service reports an error to the
Event Log. The process of getting a startup licenses also occurs if the IMA
Service is restarted at any point.

Every 2 to 5 minutes the XenApp will exchange a heartbeat with
the license server to determine if the license server is still available. The
amount of bandwidth in this transaction is 462 bytes for each server. The
heartbeats are randomised between 2 to 5 minutes from when the server checks
out a start-up license.

Every 24 hours the XenApp server will request a refresh of the
license server data, this is to check if license allocation has been increased
or decreased. The amount of bandwidth in this transaction is 9.87Kb for each
server.

When a user logs on, the XenApp server tries for 5 seconds to
request a license; if this process fails the user gets a grace period license
(30 days).”

So you can see that communication to the licensing server is
important, otherwise your servers may continually (or randomly) dish out grace
period licenses, which also causes delays in the logon time.

At the end of the day you can only try it and see. You can set
the UK license server at the server level in the Access Management Console on
one of your servers and see how this behaves.

Cheers,

Jeremy.