[THIN] Re: Anyone using Application virtualization inside a Citrix/TS session?

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 07:59:29 -0700

We have done it for many years primarily with SoftGrid, now Microsoft App-V.
At this point for use in a Citrix farm I would suggest testing the Citrix
streaming solution. Earlier version were lacking but recently they have
worked on adding inter "Bubble" communications and are overcoming some of
the limitations of App-V in the process.

I believe it is included with the Enterprise version of XenApp, definitely
in Platinum......

The short version has been from our experience to install the simple apps
that present no issues and have no real integration requirements into the
base OS and then stream the rest that require isolation, frequent patches,
weird integration requirements, etc.

Again, I recommend trying the Citrix solution first because it is built in
to the product and has minimal infrastructure requirements. If it doesn't
work then you can progress onto App-V or other solutions but they will have
additional cost and complexity.......

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453