[THIN] Re: Imaging MPS 3.0 w/ Ghost or other Imaging Software for Deployment

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 07:37:16 +1000

Hi Steve,

The licensing states you have to have a copy of win2k3 enterprise. But
it will manage any 200 or 2003 servers. So the "cost" of ADS is the
price differential between standard and enterprise addition. If you're
already runnig win2k3 enterprise in the form of a file/print or SQL
cluster, or TS with session directory I guess it's free.

ADS is basically a logical step after RIS, but it's totally server
centric. It adds multicast image deployment, a PE boot/build
environment,a post-build mananagement agent and a script interface,
read/write modification of the images and a bunch of other stuff.

Not too bad. But to be honest I'm not using it in production yet;-)

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems Ltd