[THIN] Re: Hidedrives

  • From: "Alken, Dave" <Dave.Alken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:48:24 +0200

My usage:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explo
rer]
"NoDrives"=dword:0000001f

Reboot

Microsoft:

Defining Local and Remote Drive Visibility Under Windows NT 4.0 or Windows
2000
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0

SUMMARY
Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 administrators can define drive visibility on
a per-drive basis by using the NODRIVES entry in the registry.
MORE INFORMATION
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide
problems that may require you to reinstall the operating system to correct
them.

Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of
Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

The NODRIVES entry (reg_dword) located in
<B>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
\Explorer</B>

uses a 32-bit word to define local and network drive visibility for each
logical drive in the computer.

The lower 26 bits of the 32-bit word correspond to drive letters A through
Z. Drives are visible when set to 0 and hidden when set to 1. Drive A is
represented by the rightmost position of the bitmask when the radix is
viewed in binary mode.
Example: A bitmask of 10000000000000000000000111(0x7h)

The bitmask above hides local drives A, B, and C (rightmost bits from right
to left) and drive Z (leftmost bit).

A bit mask of 11111111111111111111111111 (0x3FFFFFFh) would hide all drive
letters.

Administrators may also use the NODRIVES entry to disable access to floppy
drives on a per-user basis, replacing functionality previously found in the
Floplock.exe utility from the Windows NT 3.x resource kits.

Drives hidden using the NODRIVES setting are not available through Windows
NT Explorer, under the My Computer icon, or in the File Open\Save dialog
boxes of Windows applications. File Manager and the Windows NT command
prompt are not affected by this registry setting.

NOTE: If you hide the System drive it is not available under the My Computer
icon or in the File Open\Save dialog boxes, however it is visible in Windows
NT Explorer.