[THIN] Citrix and WLAN

  • From: "Eduard L. Frerking" <elfelf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:00:18 -0700

I have a major roll out project that has been pass on to me to implement. I
work for a school. Every student and every staff member will be receiving a
Laptop (already ordered). I will have to roll out approximately 800 Laptops.
These laptops are expected to connect to our Citrix XP farm. The farm is
balanced and can handle the load. The problem is I need to setup the
Wireless part. Questions are as follows.
  1.. Should I go with 802.11g or 802.11a?
  2.. How many access points do I need without too much sacrificing speed?
We have classrooms varying from about 20?x30? to 30?x40?. The rooms can have
up to 36 laptops in them running simultaneously. The neighboring room as
well. Rooms are gather in straight lines ranging from 3 to 7 room in a
specific ?wing?. Wing are at least 50? from each other. The problem arises,
in the access point load. Should I put more than one access point in each
room, if so, how to locate it so that there is not conflicts between rooms?
From the reading which I have done and previous experience is not to put
more than about 8 or so computers on any one access point. We published the
desktop. Short animated video clips (up to 30 seconds) are currently used.
Our wired based in each classroom up to 8 computers and we have no problems
to speak of. We have 36 classrooms. The final piece of the pie is that I
have just over $1 million this year to get the job done.

So far I was thinking of getting a bunch of one of the following? Any ideas?

Cisco Aironet 1210 Access Point

Linksys WAP55AG

NetGear Model WG602

Of course I will need to purchase matching Ethernet cards for the laptops.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eduard L. Frerking
Network/System Admin
Capt. Jason M. Dahl Elementary School-FMSD
San José, CA  95111
elfelf@xxxxxxxxxxx

This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=130