[THIN] Article: Pick of the week Using Windows Terminal Services to Run a Single Application

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:58:56 -0400

Found this one at:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Windows-Terminal-Services-Run-Single-Application.html
Using Windows Terminal Services to Run a Single Application
Using Group Policy and some scripting to publish a single application to Remote Desktop users.
Date Launched: Sep 07, 2004
Last Updated: Sep 07, 2004

Section:  Articles :: Windows OS Security
Author:  Amit Zinman

Introduction
Some users require only a single application. Installing a costly computer for this seems a bit unnecessary knowing that Windows Terminal Services have been available for quite some time.

However, since Windows is designed to deliver a lot of UI components as well as serve multiple applications it requires some work to get this done. With the benefit of Group Policy and some scripting magic, publishing a single application to users is easy.

All of you, planning on implementing complex Group Policy scenarios should download GPMC for Microsoft. It really helps you out when planning and troubleshooting group policy.

Group Policy
My Terminal Server has users which get only one application but also regular users who get a desktop with a few application. To facilitate this I set up one policy, All Users, for all of the users connecting to the Terminal Server, and App1, for users getting the first application.

These are the settings for all the users, as copied from GPMC. What it does is leave a clean UI for users, removing most of the Task Bar and Start Menu. It also hides the terminal server's disk drives, leaving the users access only to their own home directory.

All Users

Computer Configuration (Enabled)
No settings defined.
User Configuration (Enabled)

Windows Settings
  Folder Redirection
    My Documents
    Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)

Grant user exclusive rights to My Documents Disabled
Move the contents of My Documents to the new location Disabled
Policy Removal Behavior Leave contents

Administrative Templates

Control Panel

Policy Setting Prohibit access to the Control Panel Enabled Desktop Policy Setting Do not add shares of recently opened documents to My Network Places Enabled Don't save settings at exit Enabled Hide My Network Places icon on desktop Enabled Prohibit user from changing My Documents path Enabled Remove My Computer icon on the desktop Enabled

Start Menu and Taskbar

Policy Setting Add Logoff to the Start Menu Enabled Do not display any custom toolbars in the taskbar Disabled Force classic Start Menu Disabled Hide the notification area Enabled Prevent changes to Taskbar and Start Menu Settings Enabled Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar Enabled Remove All Programs list from the Start menu Enabled Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down command Enabled Remove common program groups from Start Menu Enabled Remove Documents menu from Start Menu Enabled Remove Drag-and-drop context menus on the Start Menu Enabled Remove Favorites menu from Start Menu Enabled Remove Help menu from Start Menu Enabled Remove links and access to Windows Update Enabled Remove My Network Places icon from Start Menu Enabled Remove Network Connections from Start Menu Enabled Remove programs on Settings menu Enabled Remove Run menu from Start Menu Enabled Remove Search menu from Start Menu Enabled Remove Set Program Access and Defaults from Start menu Enabled Remove user's folders from the Start Menu Enabled Turn off personalized menus Enabled

System/Ctrl+Alt+Del Options

Policy Setting Remove Task Manager Enabled

Windows Components/Windows Explorer

Policy Setting Hide these specified drives in My Computer Enabled Pick one of the following combinations Restrict A, B and C drives only

Policy Setting
Prevent access to drives from My Computer Enabled
Pick one of the following combinations Restrict A, B and C drives only

Policy Setting
Remove Windows Explorer's default context menu Enabled
Removes the Folder Options menu item from the Tools menu Disabled

Windows Components/Windows Explorer/Common Open File Dialog

Policy Setting Items displayed in Places Bar Enabled Places to display: Item 1 MyDocuments Item 2 Item 3 Item 4 Item 5

The second group policy handles the publishing of the application.

App1
Computer Configuration (Enabled)
No settings defined.

User Configuration (Enabled)

Windows Settings

  Scripts
    Logon
     Name Parameters
     D:\Netlogon\app1.vbs

Administrative Templates

Desktop

Policy Setting
Hide and disable all items on the desktop Enabled

Start Menu and Taskbar

Policy Setting
Turn off personalized menus Enabled

As you can see the group policy does not do much except clean the desktop and run a login script.

Scripting Magic
The following script runs an application and logs you off when the application closes. It also deletes a few pesky icons if they appear on the start menu.

The script enumerates all the running instances of app.exe if none of those instances belongs to the logged on user it logs off the session. If the WMI syntax looks complex, don't worry. All you have to do to use this script is change the application path and the application name.

On Error Resume Next
Set fs = CreateObject ("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.Shell")

'Get the username and profile directory
MUser = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings ("%USERNAME%")
MUserProfile = wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%USERPROFILE%")

'Delete icons
fs.DeleteFolder MUserProfile & "\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories",True
fs.DeleteFile  MUserProfile & "\Start Menu\Programs\*.lnk"

'Run the app

wshShell.Run "c:\myapp\app.exe"

' Connect to wmi
set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:root\cimv2")
Do
  found = false
' List the processes
strQuery = "Select * from win32_process where name='app.exe'"
set colProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery(strQuery)

for each proc in colProcesses

' Get the reference class linking processes to sessions to get the session object path
strQuery = "References of {win32_process.handle='" & proc.handle & "'} where ResultClass=Win32_SessionProcess"
set colSessionReferences = objWMIService.ExecQuery(strQuery)

for each oSessionReference in colSessionReferences
'Get associators of the session object that are user accounts (linked by win32_loggedonuser)
strQuery = "Associators of {" & oSessionReference.antecedent & "} where AssocClass=win32_LoggedOnUser"
set colUsers = objWMIService.ExecQuery(strQuery,,48)
for each user in colUsers
if user.name = MUser then found = true
next
next
next
Loop While found = true

'Run the Windows 2003 logoff utility
wshShell.Run "c:\windows\system32\logoff.exe"

Conclusion
With some scripting and Group Policy tweaking, serving a single application to users can be simple and cheap. Both mechanisms are flexible and can be used for much more, catering to various needs.
This Weeks Sponsor RTO Software
Would you like to learn? -- Free for a limited time!
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=320
********************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at: