[THIN] Anywhere Access security

  • From: "Nick Smith" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:41:16 +0100

Quote from Brian's website
(http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=192):

"One of the new Terminal Services features is the ability for a Windows
Server to encapsulate and proxy RDP traffic over HTTPS connections. The
RDP over HTTPS proxy is part of what Microsoft calls "Anywhere Access."
Not to be confused with Citrix's "Access Infrastructure," Microsoft's
Anywhere Access will allow users to securely access corporate resources
over the public Internet without using VPN software."

I'm now confused - and I would stress I am by no means a security
expert, *but* my understanding was that the RDP protocol - assuming
decent security levels on the client device - would automatically wrap
everything in 128-bit encryption after the initial RDP handshake. So
I've always struggled to understand how VPN is inherently more secure
than that, except that you have to install complicated (For end users)
client software to make it work.

How then, is this 'more secure'? Or to put it another way, how insecure
is RDP inherently?

For preference answers in words of less than 3 syllables...

Nick
http://www.go-eol.com