[the-facts-machine] Re: AdwCleaner Spyware Removal Tool

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <the-facts-machine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 14:11:12 -0500

First to Ron, Let us know your experience with AdwCleaner.

Second, to Tony, a.k.a. King Mead:

AdwCleaner is not an anti-virus program, so you do need something like
Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials (a.k.a. Windows Defender in Windows 8
iterations), Qihoo, AVG etc. as an anti-virus program.

Many of these programs won't let you uninstall them very easily--this is a
good thing, since you don't want some software or script from a malware site
to disable your anti-virus program.

A few years ago, I ran into one that had a button you had thirty seconds to
click.  I was able to find it in Jaws, but I couldn't find it in Window-Eyes
or System Access.  I don't recall what av program it was, but I had
evaluated a few of them for accessibility at the time.

In your case, if you can't get it to uninstall in the usual way by looking
it up under Programs and Features or Add/Remove programs in older versions
of Windows, you will have to download its uninstallation tool and run your
PC in safe mode to uninstall it.  Instructions to uninstall Avast are
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/343783-avast-uninstall-completely.html

You will need minimal sighted assistance as you need to highlight the
installed folder in safe mode, although I think you can check both items and
go from there.  When it uninstalls, it will boot your computer back up into
Windows normal mode where you complete the uninstallation.

If you are using a newer version of Win-Eyes or NVDA, you can set your
screen reader to give you access in safe mode.  Make sure you familiarize
yourself with how to enable this, as it requires a driver to run while in
safe mode.

Steve